Address: Uplands House, Upton, Banbury, Oxon OX15 6HJ.
Mobile Phone: +44(0)7836 535538
E-mail address: email@example.com
We are open all year except for Christmas and do take occasional holidays and days off.
For Covid measures see our Home page.
Uplands House near Banbury
Uplands House was originally built c.1100 in nearby Ratley, and was called Old Ratley Manor. The house was moved brick by brick to the present site and dates from the 19th century and whilst we aim to meet the needs of all our guests there are some period features that might make access difficult for people with limited mobility. The house is not suitable for wheelchair users and we have no downstairs bedrooms. WE DO HOWEVER HAVE A STAIRLIFT WHICH CARRIES YOU AND YOUR LUGGAGE UPSTAIRS!
If you have any specific needs or questions feel free to ask, and we will try to help.
- We are located at the end of a long farm drive which leads c to Uplands House and beyond it, Uplands farm. Our location is in the peaceful Warwickshire Cotswolds and not suited to those traveling without a car. There is no discernible bus service.
- The most local shop is Tysoe Village Stores 3 miles away. The nearest Chemist is in Banbury.
- The nearest railway station is Banbury which is approximately 7 miles away. Taxis are usually available at the station and one can be booked in advance if required. The number of the service we recommend is+44 (0)1295 252525, and they can be contacted for days out.
- Brochures and menus can be provided in large print if required. We regret we do not have facilities to prepare documents in braille.
- Our website www.cotswolds-uplands.co.uk shows pictures of our accommodation, two views of each bedroom, and further information about the services we provide.
- Please note we only accept guests who have booked in advance.
Arrival and Car Parking
Please advise us on +44(0)7836 535538) of your anticipated arrival time on the day so that we can be sure we are here to welcome you.
To ensure your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not normally arrive before 4.00 pm. Earlier arrival may, however, be possible by arrangement, and if you arrive before 4.00 pm without letting us know, there may be no one there.
Ample parking is on a level gravelled drive in front of the main door. Please park in the bays in front of the garages marked 1,2,3 and 4. The parking area is well lit at night.
On arrival, guests are required to complete the registration form, hand sanitise, and then they are shown to their rooms, and our facilities are explained. Tea or coffee and homemade cake is offered on arrival.
We can usually offer assistance with luggage. Heavy cases can go up on the stairlift.
There are no steps to the front door. The front door is normally locked so please ring the bell on your arrival.
Guest Accommodation – Public Areas
- The hallway leads into the dining room and the drawing-room.
- There are 18 stairs to the first floor; there is a handrail on one side of these stairs. The stairs are carpeted. There is a stairlift.
- There is a door from the hallway at the bottom of the stairs which leads into the garden.
- There is a downstairs toilet.
- We have three guest bedrooms which are upstairs (please see section “Bedrooms” on our website for more information).
- The house is centrally heated throughout but temperatures can be adjusted in each room by thermostatic control to suit individual requirements.
Drawing Room and Dining Room and Orangery
- Guests are welcome to use the drawing-room at any time. It has two sofas and four straight back armchairs. It is carpeted and has an open fire during cold weather.
- A selection of local information, books, playing cards, magazines, and games are available.
- Breakfast and evening meals are served in the dining room or in the garden.
- The dining room has a fully carpeted floor.
- We offer dinner on request. We are licensed for the sale of alcohol and have a fine wine cellar.
- A child’s high chair is available if required.
- The bedrooms are carpeted throughout and furnished with pretty chintzes and antique furniture. The Chinese and Tulip room bathrooms have washable vinyl floor coverings. The 4 poster bathroom is fully carpeted on account of its large size.
- All doors can be locked – please ask for a key.
- There are en suite facilities consisting of a bath, shower, WC, and washbasin.
- Tea and coffee making facilities are provided. We also provide fresh flowers, water, a flat-screen TV, an iPhone dock clock radio, a blow heater, an electric blanket, lovely toiletries. a hot water bottle, heated rollers, and a hairdryer.
- Our beds are normally made with duvets and two feather pillows per person, one firm for reading, one soft for sleeping. Synthetic items are available if preferred. Please ask when booking. We can provide sheets and blankets if that is what you like. Please specify before your arrival if required.
- There are hanging facilities with hangers, a chest of drawers, a dressing table, and comfortable seating in each room.
- There is a folder in each bedroom which contains further information, such as where to eat out, and the history of the house.
- A child’s cot can be provided
Bedroom 1 – 4 Poster Bedroom
Bedroom 1 is to the left at the top of the stairs. There are 2 steps, 9” high, up to this room.
This very large room has a 6ft by 6ft.6in king-size four-poster bed with plentiful access from both sides.
Bedroom – 2 The Chinese Room
Bedroom 2 is to the right at the top of the stairs. There are two steps of 9 inches up to this room.
This good sized room can either provide two 3 foot single beds or one 6 foot x 6ft 6 super king-size double with ample access from both sides.
Bedroom – 3 The Tulip Room
Bedroom 3 is straight on at the top of the stairs. This smaller room has a 5ft x 6ft 6in queen size double bed with ample access from both sides.
All three have en suite bathrooms with both baths and showers.
We have a large and beautiful garden with lawns, flower beds, a rose garden, a small stream feeding into a lily pond, with a fountain, and a fruit and organic vegetable garden. Guests are very welcome to enjoy our garden at all times.
Access to the garden is via a door at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3” step down into the garden via a ramp.
There is a large terrace outside the garden door. There are a table and chairs with a heater for al fresco dining.
Sun loungers and garden chairs are available for guests. Croquet mallets are available on request.
- There are 3 fire extinguishers in the entrance hall and in the kitchen and another 4 at the top of the stairs. These are serviced annually.
- The chimneys are swept regularly.
- In the event of a fire, we will call you. Please advise us if you have a hearing impairment and might not hear this. All rooms are interconnected via our fire alarm, which has just been newly installed so if one goes off, they all do.
- The building can be evacuated via the door at the bottom of the stairs or the door from the entrance hall. In an emergency, there is also an exit via our kitchen which is ahead at the bottom of the stairs. There is access to a balcony from Bedroom 2 and to the Orangery roof area from Bedroom 3.
- We do not permit smoking in the house but you may smoke in the garden. Please request an ashtray.
- We are able to accommodate dogs and children and have a high chair and a cot.
- Delicious organic meals are served here, but for those preferring to eat out, there are a number of local pubs. We are happy to cater for special diets or any particular likes or dislikes. Please advise us of these before your arrival.
- A small fridge on the landing may be available for medication. We can usually keep any perishables in our fridge for a limited period.
- Mobile phone reception is generally satisfactory.
- Wireless internet is provided free, but please bring your own laptops.
Maintenance at Uplands
The house was completely renovated, redecorated and re-wired in 2004/5, and redecorated again during 2020/21. The emergency lighting was installed in 2005, the fire alarm system was updated in November 2016, and maintenance is ongoing throughout the year. All the windows have been refurbished and painted on the outside, and we added a new porch extension to make unloading more convenient in bad weather. We have undertaken extensive roof insulation, and secondary double glazing has been installed throughout. We have solar panels on the roof providing most of our electricity. We have now installed a biomass boiler using wood pellets, and a high-pressure water system ensuring good water pressure in all the showers. In November 2016 the fire regulations were attended to once again, and all bedroom doors and the drawing-room door have been painted with fireproof paint, as has the staircase to the cellar, and the cellar door. We have an alarm connected to the relevant services for when the house is unattended. The updating was signed off as meeting all regulations by the fire inspectors.
In 2017/18 Stairlifts were installed for the convenience of the elderly or those guests with heavy luggage.
2019/20 All carpets professionally cleaned, new burglar alarm panel installed.
2020/21 We have used this time of Covid to continue improvements, repainting as necessary, reupholstering items in need, replacing cooking and dining items like wine glasses and our dinner service, we purchased a new coffee making machine, and we overhauled plumbing arrangements. Over the years the lawn has become overrun with moss, so in 2021 the whole lawn is being treated by professionals. We have also had the services of a tree surgeon, as trees were getting overgrown.
We are constantly making improvements. We welcome your feedback to help us.
Last updated 2021. If you require further details or have any comments about the services we provide do not hesitate to contact us.