Address: Uplands House, Upton, Banbury, Oxon OX15 6HJ.
Telephone number +44(0)1295 678663. When we are away from home this number is diverted to the mobile phone.
Mobile Phone: +44(0)7836 535538
E-mail address: email@example.com
We are open all year but do take occasional holidays and days off.
Uplands House Access Statement
Uplands House dates from the 19th century and whilst we aim to meet the needs of all our guests there are some period features which might make access difficult for people with limited mobility. The house is not suitable for wheelchair users and we have no downstairs bedrooms. WE DO HOWEVER HAVE A STAIR LIFT WHICH CARRIES YOU AND YOUR LUGGAGE UPSTAIRS!
If you have any specific needs or questions feel free to ask, and we will endeavour to help.
- We are located at the end of a long drive which leads to a farm. Our location is in the peaceful Warwickshire Cotswolds and not suited to those travelling without a car. There is no discernible bus service.
- The nearest shop is Tysoe Village Stores 3 miles away. The nearest Chemist is in Banbury.
- The nearest railway station is Banbury which is approximately 7 miles away. Taxis are usually available at the station and one can be booked in advance if required. The number of the service we recommend is+44 (0)1295 263838. A local taxi can be contacted for days out.
- Brochures and menus can be provided in large print if required. We regret we do not have facilities to prepare documents in braille.
- Our website www.cotswolds-uplands.co.uk shows pictures of our accommodation and further information about the services we provide.
- Please note we only accept guests who have booked in advance.
Arrival and Car Parking
Please advise us on +44(0)7836 535538) of your anticipated arrival time on the day so that we can be sure we are here to welcome you.
To ensure your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not normally arrive before 4.00pm. Earlier arrival may, however, be possible by arrangement, and if you arrive before 4.00pm without letting us know, there may be no one there.
Ample parking is on a level gravelled drive in front of the main door. Please park in the bays in front of the garages. The parking area is well lit at night.
On arrival guests are required to complete the registration form, and then they are shown to their rooms and our facilities are explained. Tea and home made cake is offered on arrival.
We can usually offer assistance with luggage.
There are no steps to the front door. The front door is normally locked but please ring the bell on your arrival.
Guest Accommodation – Public Areas
- The hallway leads into the dining room and the drawing room.
- There are 18 stairs to the first floor; there is a hand rail on one side of these stairs. The stairs are carpeted.
- There is a door from the hallway at the bottom of the stairs which leads into the garden.
- There is a downstairs toilet.
- We have three guest bedrooms which are upstairs (please see section “Bedrooms” on our website for more information).
- The house is centrally heated throughout but temperatures can be adjusted in each room by thermostatic control to suit individual requirements.
Drawing Room and Dining Room and Orangery
- Guests are welcome to use the drawing room at any time. It has two sofas, and four straight back chairs. It is carpeted and has an open fire during cold weather.
- A selection of local information, books, playing cards, magazines and games are available.
- Breakfast and evening meals are served in the dining room or the orangery.
- The dining room has a fully carpeted floor.
- We offer dinner on request. We are licensed for the sale of alcohol and have a fine wine cellar.
- A child’s high chair is available if required.
- The bedrooms are carpeted throughout, and furnished with pretty chintzes and antique furniture. The Chinese and Tulip room bathrooms have washable vinyl floor coverings. The 4 poster bathroom is fully carpeted on account of its large size.
- All doors can be locked – please ask for a key.
- There are en suite facilities consisting of a bath, shower, WC, and wash basin.
- Tea and coffee making facilities are provided. We also provide fresh flowers, water, an Iphone dock clock radio, lovely toiletries. a hot water bottle, heated rollers, and a hair dryer.
- Our beds are normally made with duvets and two feather pillows per person, one firm for reading, one soft for sleeping. Synthetic items are available if preferred. Please ask when booking. We can provide sheets and blankets if preferred. Please specify before your arrival if required.
- There are hanging facilities with hangers, a chest of drawers, a dressing table and comfortable seating in each room.
- There is a folder in each bedroom which contains further information, such as where to eat out, and the history of the house.
Bedroom 1 4 Poster Bedroom
Bedroom 1 is to the left at the top of the stairs. There are 2 steps, 9” high, up to this room.
This very large room has a 6ft by 6ft.6in super king size four poster bed with access from both sides.
Bedroom 2 is to the right at the top of the stairs. There are two steps of 9 inches up to this room.
This good sized room can either provide two 3 foot single beds or one 6 foot x 6ft 6 super king size double with access from both sides.
Bedroom 3 is straight on at the top of the stairs. This smaller room has a 5ft x 6ft 6in king size double bed with ample access from both sides.
All three have en suite bathrooms with both baths and showers.
We have a large garden with lawns, flower beds, a rose garden, a small stream feeding into a lily pond, and fruit and an organic vegetable garden. Guests are very welcome to enjoy our garden at all times.
Access to the garden is via a door at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3” step down into the garden via a ramp.
There is a large terrace outside the garden door. There is a table and chairs with heater for al fresco dining.
Sun loungers and garden chairs are available for guests. Croquet and Badminton rackets and mallets are available on request.
- There are 3 fire extinguishers in the entrance hall and in the kitchen and another 2 at the top of the stairs. These are serviced annually.
- The chimneys are swept regularly.
- In the event of a fire we will call you. Please advise us if you have a hearing impairment and might not hear this. All rooms are interconnected via our fire alarm, which has just been newly installed so if one goes off, they all do.
- The building can be evacuated via the door at the bottom of the stairs or the door from the entrance hall. In an emergency there is also an exit via our kitchen which is ahead at the bottom of the stairs. There is access to a balcony from Bedroom 2 and to a roof area from Bedroom 3.
- We do not permit smoking in the house but you may smoke in the garden. Please request an ash tray.
- We are able to accommodate dogs and children and have high chairs and cots.
- Delicious organic meals are served here, but for those preferring to eat out there are a number of local pubs. We are happy to cater for special diets or any particular likes or dislikes. Please advise us of these before your arrival.
- A small fridge on the landing may be available for medication. We can usually keep any perishables in our fridge for a limited period.
- Mobile phone reception is generally satisfactory.
- Wireless internet is provided free, but please bring your own laptops.
Maintenance at Uplands
The house was completely renovated, redecorated and re-wired in 2004/5, and redecorated in 2015/6. The emergency lighting was installed in 2005, the fire alarm system updated in November 2016, and maintenance is ongoing throughout the year. All the windows have been refurbished and painted on the outside, and we added a new porch extension to make unloading more convenient in bad weather. We have undertaken extensive roof insulation, and secondary double glazing has been installed throughout. We have solar panels in the roof providing most of our electricity. We have now installed a biomass boiler using wood pellets, and a high pressure water system ensuring good water pressure in the showers. This year the fire regulations were attended to once again, and all bedroom doors and the drawing room door have been painted with fireproof paint, as has the staircase to the cellar, and the cellar door. We have an alarm connected to the relevant services for when the house is unattended. The updating was signed off as meeting all regulations by the fire inspectors.
We are constantly making improvements. We welcome your feedback to help us.
Last updated 2018
If you require further details or have any comments about the services we provide do not hesitate to contact us.